LAUNCH OF THE KU/IIDS PUBLIC POLICY PROGRAM
Stepping on the Memorandum of Understanding signed on 22nd April, 2016 and understanding the need to fill this void of an academic setup explicitly dedicated towards public policy, Kathmandu University, one of the most reputed universities in Nepal and Institute for Integrated Development Studies, a premier think tank which has been in existence for almost four decades have come together to offer the first of its type in Nepal- The KU-IIDS Public Policy Program.
The Masters in Public Policy Program is proposed to start from February, 2019 meanwhile short term five days long seminar would be starting next month itself as an appetizer before the main course to help people comprehend the importance and effectiveness of the Public Policy Program. The official launch of the program was done on 3rd July, 2018 in Hotel Annapurna. The session was chaired by the Chairperson of the Governing Council of IIDS- Dr. Mohan Man Sainju. Honorable Gangan Thapa, Member of Parliament was the Chief Guest for the event. The other speakers included, Her Excellency Alaina Teplitz, Ambassador of United States to Nepal, Prof. Dr. Ram Kantha Makaju Shrestha, Vice Chancellor, Kathmandu University, Bhekh Bahadur Thapa, Former Ambassador to United States, Former Finance Minister and the Founding Director and Life Time Member of IIDS, Dr. Swarnim Wagle, Former Vice Chair, National Planning Commission and Dr. Bishnu Dev Pant, Executive Director, IIDS.
The Public Policy Program is intended to:
- Provide a range of interdisciplinary programs theoretical and practical knowledge in the context of policy making
- Offer a professionally-managed and academically-inclined curriculum
- Be well networked with the bureaucracy, the non-governmental organizations, and the private sector
- Offer a local program with a global reach
- Create a socially responsible sustainable institution and
- Attract highly qualified students and faculty